Ever since I heard about BreakoutEDU, I have been excited about the possibilities that it could mean for my classroom. I don't think anyone would argue that the escape room concept isn't inherently engaging but man, that $150 price tag per kit can be a tough one to swallow.
I knew that if was going to get this to work in my context, I needed to follow two simple rules
In order to accomplish goal #2, I knew I would need to drive down that cost a little bit so that I could write a grant that could reasonably cover the cost of a classroom set. This post is all about how I pieced together everything I needed for under $70 per kit.
Assembling the Components
In the early days of BreakoutEDU, there used to be an open source page with a link to an Amazon list with all of the components needed to assemble a breakout box on your own. That page has since been removed so I needed to do a little digging to track down the things that I wanted for my kits
The DIY Breakout that I outline below is not exactly the same as the official BreakoutEDU kit. This may require some modifying of official BreakoutEDU tasks that you find on the website.
For a list of all differences, seeBreakoutEDU Comparison
Building the Kits
I figured that a true class set would be enough for 32 students to be in 8 groups of 4. Knowing that things happen, I decided to get an extra of everything to have on hand just in case something needed replacing. This meant that I was looking to get enough supplies for 9 Breakout kits. With the supplies outlined above, I was able to get the cost down under $70 a piece for a grand total of $630 for nine setups. Granted this is still a big chunk of change but at least it's not the $1350 price tag to get that many official kits! I was very fortunately to get all of this paid for through a grant but it feels great to know that I got twice as many supplies for the price :)
Father, Physics Teacher, Knowles Fellow, Friend, Techie, and Musician